About Human Resources
Risk Management Division
THE MISSION OF THE RISK MANAGEMENT DIVISION IS TO PROTECT FROM AND MITIGATE THE EFFECTS OF UNPREDICTABLE CASUALTY LOSSES ON THE PERSONNEL, PHYSICAL AND FINANCIAL ASSETS OF THE BOROUGH AND SCHOOL DISTRICT AND TO COORDINATE, PROMOTE AND MONITOR EMPLOYEE BENEFIT PLANS. The Division manages the Borough and School District’s self-insured programs for employee health, property, general and auto liability and workers’ compensation; obtains insurance coverage for the Borough, School District, Fire and Road Service Districts; maintains databases for employee health benefits, self-insured claims, student injuries, facility incidents and for contractor insurance certificates; provides occupational health and safety services to Borough and School District and administers Borough employee benefit programs (deferred compensation, flexible spending accounts, employee assistance program, employment-related medical exams).
Major Long-Term Issues and Concerns
The Borough is an active consumer in the commercial excess insurance market. This requires particular attention to market conditions and the regulatory environment. It requires long term planning and periodic adjustments in budget and self-insurance levels. Insurance prices are stable for 2010 as a result of unprecedented economic circumstances. Employee benefits are the focus of federal health care reform. The State legislature is expected to authorize a new calculation for workers’ compensation medical payments. Monitoring and complying with the changes requires on-going effort. The proprietary claim system is maintained by a local sole proprietor. Need to identify alternate servicer or replacement system for long term contingency.
Objectives for FY 2011
- In coordination with the Accounting division, evaluate the need for and benefits of establishing a fund which provides a mechanism for tracking costs by line of coverage and allows unexpended insurance appropriations to be retained from year-to-year to offset future increases.
- Provide staff support to labor/management wellness committee to expand employee wellness program to include health coaching vendor services.
- Continue to work with the Borough Labor Management Health Care Committee, the School District Joint Committee on Health Benefits and the Health Care Coalition to manage employee health claim costs.
- Identify and implement medical service purchasing programs to reduce costs for self-insured claims.
- Comply with federal reporting requirements for claims by potential Medicare beneficiaries.
- Assimilate occupational health and safety functions transferred from Emergency Operations.
- Continue development of Return to Work programs.