Flood Permits Frequently Asked Questions

  • General
    • How can I find out my Flood Zone?
      If you live in the FNSB, you can contact the Flood Plain Administrator in the Community Planning Department at 459-1260.
      When are Floodplain Permits required?
      Before a person starts construction on any new or substantially improved structure, place any moveable structures such as a manufactured home, alter or relocate any watercourse, perform any other development (manmade change to improved or unimproved real estate, including, but not limited to , buildings or other structures, mining, dredging, filing, grading, paving, excavation or drilling operations or storage of equipment or materials) within special flood hazard area (SFHA), or excavate or remove material within 250 feet of the centerline of the Tanana Levee structure.
      Is there a fee for a Floodplain Permit?
      No, FNSB does not charge for a Floodplain Permit. We have 30 days to process Floodplain Permits.
      What is a Certificate of Compliance?
      The certificate is issued by the FNSB Flood Plain Administrator pursuant to the requirements of FNSB 15.04.055 certifying that at the time of issuance, development described in the certificate was in compliance with the floodplain management requirements of the Fairbanks North Star Borough.
      How do I obtain a Certificate of Compliance?
      After you receive your Floodplain Permit and your project has been substantially completed, you will submit a certified statement or report from a registered engineer, architect, certified hydrologist or land surveyor, whichever is applicable, stating that your development complies with applicable requirements and standards set forth in FNSB Title 15 no later than 60 days after obtaining a finished construction elevation certificate or flood-proofing certificate, if required. At a minimum, this will include an elevation certificate certifying the elevation of the lowest finished floor (including basement) of all new and substantially improved buildings; a report stating that the ability of the channel to adequately carry floodwater will be maintained at the same capacity as prior to alteration for watercourse alteration or relocation; a Zero Rise Certification for construction, fill or other development in a regulatory floodway.

  • Insurance
    • Does my Homeowner’s Insurance Policy cover flooding?
      No, flood damage is not typically covered by a homeowner’s insurance policy.
      Is my Flood Insurance Policy activated at the time of purchase?
      No, there is a 30-day waiting period from date of purchase before your policy goes into effect.
      Can I get Flood Insurance if I’m renting a property?
      Yes, because FNSB participates in the NFIP you can buy flood insurance to cover the contents of your home or business.

  • Flooding
    • How can I find out what my Flood Risk is?
      What is a Flood?
      The National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) defines a flood as “a general and temporary condition of partial or complete inundation of normally dry land areas (at least 2 or more acres or 2 or more adjacent properties) from overflow of inland or tidal waters or from the unusual and rapid accumulation or runoff of surface waters from any source.”
      What is the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP)?
      The NFIP is managed by FEMA and contains three components: flood insurance, floodplain management and flood hazard mapping. Participation in the NFIP is determined by whether the community adopts and enforces floodplain management ordinances in exchange for the protection of federal flood insurance availability to its citizens.
      What are Flood Zones?
      Flood zones are land areas identified by FEMA. Each flood zone describes that land area in terms of its risk of flooding. Everyone lives in a flood zone it’s just a question of whether you live in a low, moderate, or high risk area.
      What is a Special Flood Hazard Area (SFHA)?
      Land areas that are at high risk for flooding are called SFHAs or floodplains. These areas are indicated on Flood Insurance Rate Maps (FIRMs). In high-risk areas, there is at least a 1 in 4 chance of flooding during a 30-year mortgage.
      What is a Base Flood Elevation (BFE)?
      The BFE is the height of the base (1-percent-annual-chance) flood, usually in feet, in relation to the National Geodetic Vertical Datum of 1929 (NGVD29), the North American Vertical Datum of 1988 (NAVD88), or other datum reference in the Flood Insurance Study (FIS) report, or average depth of the base flood, usually in feet, above the ground surface.
      What is a Flood Elevation Certificate (EC)?
      An EC is an administrative tool of the NFIP which is used to provide elevation information necessary to ensure compliance with the community floodplain management ordinances, to determine the proper insurance premium rate, or support a request for a Letter of Map Amendment (LOMA).
      What is a Letter of Map Amendment (LOMA)?
      A LOMA is an official amendment, by letter, to an effective NFIP map. A LOMA establishes a property’s location in relation to the SFHA. The letter becomes effective on the date sent.
      How long does it take to obtain a LOMA, LOMR-F and LOMR?
      Upon receipt of all required data a LOMA or LOMR-F, FEMA issues a determination within 60 days. Upon receipt of all required data to support a LOMR, FEMA issues a determination within 90 days.
      How can I apply for a LOMA?
      If you live in the FNSB, you can contact the Flood Plain Administrator in the Community Planning Department at 459-1260
      Does a 100-year flood occur once every 100 years on average?
      The 100-year flood (base flood) is a climatic average, that is, there is a one percent chance a 100-year flood will happen in any given year. The base flood could occur more than once in a relatively short period of time.
      What is my chance of flooding over a 30-year mortgage?
      Over a 30-year mortgage, there is a 26% chance you’ll have a 100-year flood (base flood).
      What are the recurrence intervals (estimate of the likelihood of an event) and probabilities of occurrences?


  • Coverage
    • What does flood insurance cover?
      A water pipe on the second floor burst causing a flood of water throughout my home. Is this a flood loss?
      No, this is defined as a water loss and would not be covered under the NFIP.
      Is water seeping through the exterior of my home and flooding the inside a flood loss?
      No, unless the NFIP definition of a flood is met (see "What is a flood?").