How Does the Fairbanks North Star Borough Buy?
Purchases over $20,000
Purchases over $20,000 are procured by formal sealed bids. These bids are advertised a minimum of 15 days prior to bid opening. Bids are advertised in the Fairbanks Daily News-Miner and posted on the Fairbanks North Star Borough (FNSB) website at Online Procurement Solicitations.
- A Request for Proposals (RFP) process may be used when the scope of work cannot be clearly defined.
- Bids must be delivered to the Purchasing Division prior to the bid deadline to be accepted.
- Bids are opened in an open forum at the time and date stated in bid specifications at:
FNSB Juanita Helms Administration Center (JHAC)
809 Pioneer Road
2nd floor, Purchasing Division
Fairbanks, AK 99701
Bidders are welcome (but not required) to attend Bid Openings.
- Contracts resulting from bid solicitations in excess of $100,000 are awarded by the Fairbanks North Star Borough Assembly during regularly scheduled Thursday meetings. The agendas for these meetings are posted at the Fairbanks North Star Borough JHAC Building and in Fairbanks Daily News-Miner.
- Annual contracts may be used to purchase many goods and services the Fairbanks North Star Borough buys repetitively over the course of a year. Annual contracts are bid for estimated quantities of commodities, equipment, or services at firm prices, for a specified period of time, usually one year increments with possible annual renewals. Awards are made to qualified single or multiple bidders who meet specifications and conditions. Quantities are based on prior usage by Fairbanks North Star Borough Departments but are not guaranteed.
FNSB requires successful bidder to have proof of:
- Commercial general liability, occurrence basis: $1,000,000 limit per occurrence
- Comprehensive automobile liability: $1,000,000 combined single limit
- Workers' Compensation coverage including Employer's Liability with limits of: $100,000 each accident, $500,000 disease-policy limit, and $100,000 disease-each employee
When a construction contract is awarded in excess of $100,000, the following bonds are required:
- Bid Bond of 5% of the bid price
- Performance and Payment bond in an amount equal to 100% of bid/contract price
Purchases Under $20,000
Purchases under $20,000 are considered small purchases. Small purchases are handled using telephone or written quotes depending on the technical nature of the requested item. A minimum of three bidders are contacted.
If you would like to provide goods or service, please email the Purchasing Division.